Monday 3 June 2019

A Great Day Out on the Sx Ouse and South Downs!


I thought out a great walk taking in part of the River (Tidal Sussex Ouse) and a walk over stunning farmland (South Downs) that I expected to spot perhaps some Birds of prey (more of this latter) It all started  so well nice weather and scenery, I  must have done roughly  two miles and I hit a dilemma, a crossroads in badly signed footpaths, I had a map, but obviously did not need it, ..use your head and instinct I said out loud, after all the right-hand path was still running almost parallel with the river in my mind...I'll let you guess the outcome of this decision!
Boy had I got it wrong, I was so far out it was untrue, it took me a long while of walking to find my bearings, however, this mistake turned into a blessing earlier on I watched for a while a pair of Buzzards riding the thermals, unfortunately, they were never in Camera range.
I was walking through a very tree-lined area that also had a few houses around, I came around a corner and came across this view...     I was, to be taken by surprise, I had fractions of a second to adjust the camera settings and I got a few photos, 
The Problem was we were both taken by surprise, he took flight instantly, however, I did manage a few images, but this could all have been so much better, but it is what it is...next time! 



after this great little event, I had regained my bearings, and was roughly Two and a half miles out of where I intended to be!
I began the Trek back towards the Sussex Ouse, I spotted a Jay in a perfect situation, although very bright sunshine I snapped a couple of Photo's only to have totally overexposed the finished product!... Aaahhhh!! now I was getting annoyed, however, things were to change for the better! 

I decided after about a mile to stop for lunch, I always like to pick a spot with a few bushes around in the hope some Birdlife shows up and in between a sandwich these birds popped into view..  Caught obviously in flight a Skylark, a first for me..very quick flyer!
and five minutes later a Common WhiteThroat gave me a great view of himself. 

I carried on my trek to attempt to get back on my original intended path but realised all might take a fair bit longer when I saw this view.. The Chalky bit in the distant centre is Severn Sisters, a view I had not intended to see!
Anyway I finally made the river and I hoped to spot perhaps some wading birds and some Mullet or Bass feeding, and possibly a Heron doing what herons do!
This part of the river is very tidal, and to be honest very exposed to the elements, in my opinion, there are more scenic parts, but places like this attract various birds and wildlife so I still find it very interesting.
I ended up in a spot I had not planned to be due to that wrong turning on the footpath but again another surprise was to confront me ! .....A Little Egret ! He was a way off to get any decent photos at this point but on the opposite Bank he gave me a good opportunity to get in a far better position to get some decent pictures, this I managed, however the moment I was in a great position, he decided very quickly to get airborne and go and land exactly opposite where I had first spotted the Egret!
I made my way back with as much haste keeping my profile low and hoping he would not up sticks again before I could get a good photo, however all went well. 

After this, It was time to make my way back to the car, still a bit of a walk, but due to getting it wrong I managed to get a few very pleasing Photos!
It was early evening, Id took the Dog for a walk and a plan was hatching, perfect light conditions, I decided a few hours with the Camera down to the Resivour in the hope of a Barn Owl ..this was the sort of evening I could get lucky again!
I felt worn out but you don't Catch good fish, and you certainly won't get photos of birds if you're not at the venue in the first place!
Anyway got myself in a nice secluded position and bingo after roughly one hour and a half I spotted in the distance the unmistakable shape and colour of a Barn Owl coming my way, my first thought "please don't spot me!
Anyway as he got closer I had got a little shaky ..seriously this is exciting stuff if you are behind the camera!
on several Occassions I lost sight of the Owl he had "gone down", obviously on a hopeful kill, this was only building the excitement!
Anyway, all went well, and I got these..... 




        ....There is something about seeing an Owl that is so exciting, Its a truly special moment, I never tire of being in their presence!


Well, What a Day!!!...If only life could be so self-fulfilling on a Daily Basis, however, let get this all in perspective, up at Three O'clock am for a five O'clock am start in a few hours!
  
                               

No comments:

Post a Comment