Wednesday 12 June 2019

I have not been fishing for the last few months, might sound strange, but its rather nice, when I start again shortly I shall be re-charged and keen again, I enjoy all the seasons, but winter can really test you from a fishing perspective, it can at times be an endurance test, it has its rewards and its great to be outdoors experiencing the different weather conditions that get thrown in the mix, but perhaps as I'm getting older I am just beginning to feel it a bit more! Anyway, the River Season starts Soon..can't wait!!

Went out on a very blustery and showery day last week down the Nature reserve at Weir Wood, again hoping for some reasonable pictures of Swifts & Swallows, oh, and Terns that I have found so frustrating, as they have been swooping and flying around, always far away, certainly too far to get any sort of decent Photos!, I spent far to long chasing them to no avail a couple of days ago!
Anyway, this time it was to be different..I finally got some interesting photos (well I think so!)

This was taken during a heavy downpour, but hey finally, a usable picture!, A Tern feeding a Youngster                                                                                                                                                    
...More was to follow a good hatch started that drew in the Swallows and swifts from nowhere Amazing watching these speedy guys, swooping and diving, I find it fascinating to see how they can spot their food travelling at such speed, but they do.. and so successfully!


Well in between showers it brightened up, and the Young Tern showed up on the same platform, and I managed to get some better pictures of them feeding ..     If you look carefully at the middle picture you can see the youngsters meal is a small fish, proberbly a roach. I could also get some better photos of the distant Cormorants, many dislike these birds because I think because of their looks, to me their attitude and behaviour is quite interesting, they survive and flourish in spite of our best efforts to stop them! Just look at those wings, perfect design for "flying underwater!  

I spent a couple of very enjoyable hours watching from the hide but had been told of a little field close by that Yellowhammers frequented, and its a bird I have crossed paths with only once with the camera, and the pictures were far from acceptable!
Anyway, I crept up to the entrance of the field and could see nothing of real interest, but on further looking at the wheat that was growing I could see just the top of a pair of Horns!
I instinctively slowly went as low as I could so as not to startle them, I looked at trying to get in a better position but it was just not possible.
I waited about Thirty Minutes  before anything happened, although I was a reasonable distance and as quiet as I could be they became aware of my presence, what I had not realised was there was Three of them Two Adults and a Foal, I'm pretty sure they were, in fact, laying down, taking in the brief warm sunshine we had that day..my first "Proper" view of them was this.. 
    How cute is that!!
Here is the Foal with them who got up after Mum and Dad...
   Well what a fantastic day, however, those deer were the Icing on the cake, a great bit of luck being in the right place just at the right time!
I always try not to panic or frighten wildlife, I like to Observe and Photograph them totally on their terms, Never, Never chase after them they deserve respect, if you miss your photo well that's how it is, except with grace, and be pleased you had the privilege to see them!
They the wildlife owes us nothing!

No comments:

Post a Comment